Thursday, April 30, 2020

April 30th: Sport. Remember that?

So April peters out in a damp farewell after a period of prolonged sunshine and warmth. In any normal year we'd have had a great April, getting out and about in the nice weather, maybe some trips to the beach, seeing the start of the cricket season whilst moving swiftly towards the denoument of the football season.

Instead, everything remains up in the air. We're still in lockdown (or a variation of it depending on how compliant you're being). It's still open to question whether any cricket will be played this year. The sport's governing body has said no professional cricket will take place until July 1st at the earliest, the launch of the new Hundred competition has been postponed until next year and the recreational cricket suspension remains in place for the foreseeable future. Our league has just today suggested that they think the chances of cricket starting up by 1st July is unlikely (and I agree).  The football powers are still debating options for the completion, or cancellation of the current season (or something else), let alone the implications for the 2020/2021 campaign.

On the brighter side of things, the panic buying at the shops seems to have dissipated with most things bar flour (blame all those lockdown home bakers) readily available and those retailers that are open for business having put sensible and appropriate social distancing measures in place, or have adapted their business models to focus on home deliveries.

The calls continues for the Government to provide at least it's thoughts on an exit strategy form lockdown, although there seems to be a reluctance from on high to do this at this time.  Personally I believe it's too early to ease things (much as I'd like them to). I saw an interesting meme on Facebook this morning for which I can claim no responsibility which summed it up for me:
Reopening the country early, is a bit like stopping your antibiotics early because you're starting to feel better
I checked my car mileage this morning. It's a nerdy thing or perhaps OCD, but I like to know how many miles I've done each month. In the last month I've racked up the grand total of 43.9 miles. For many people it might be zero. I've had two or three trips to the surgery for my blood tests, and one trip to Canton with my wife to check on my mother-in-law one evening when we thought there was problem (there wasn't). That compares with just over 1,000 miles a month before I retired last November, and 560 in February and 400 in March. Apart from the obvious fuel saving that I and every other driver in lockdown has made, the impact on the environment must be huge. We've seen pictures of before/after lockdown improvements in air pollution across the world (although be careful believing everything you read/see - photo editing software is very good these days 😉. This article from Guardian at the end of March, a whole month ago was already showing some striking effects of the improvement due to the reduction in travel - it's probably even more significant now, even though traffic seems to be picking up again.

Although the weather's been a bit showery today, we did manage to get out for an hour. This shot was taken on the local golf course.

Wenvoe Castle Golf Club: 10th fairway

Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: