Tuesday, April 28, 2020

April 28th: Exercise - what does it means for you?

Hurrah, it's raining!

There are a couple of pluses to this rain - and who'd have thought anyone would be saying that about rain after the persistent precipitation and devastating floods of a couple of months ago - yes it was less than seven weeks ago when our focus was on flooding not coronavirus!

Firstly, the garden needed rain. I know, only gardeners say that, but my clay heavy soil had pretty much solidified and and starting opening up cracks you could fall into following the recent dry spell. And it means I don't have to water my fledgling fruit and vegetable plants  for a few days at least as nature does the job for me.

Secondly, it might stop some of the idiots who think lockdown is a nice opportunity to get out and about, have a picnic, climb Snowdon or otherwise go beyond the spirit of the guidance about being allowed out once a day for daily exercise. Perhaps it's worth re-iterating the Government's guidance here. You can exercise:
Yes – provided it is alone or with members of your household.People must stay at home as much as possible to reduce the spread of the virus. But you can also still go outside once a day for a walk, run, cycle. When doing this you must minimise the time you are out of your home and stay at least two metres away from anyone else that isn’t from your household.
The key bit here for me is that "...you must minimise the time you are out of your home".   Interestingly in relation to cycling, the website cyclist.co.uk initially said on 24th March shortly after lockdown was announced, that
No guidelines were given as to how long or how far the ride could be although with limited services and restaurants and cafes shut, it would suggest rides are to be kept short and close to home
And on 24th March, Wales updated it's guidance to say that:
Cycling for exercise in Wales has been restricted to rides that are within reasonable walking distance, as the Welsh Government publishes new official guidance that prohibits long bike rides for leisure and exercise.'Cycling should be local, as a rule of thumb limited to travelling no further than a reasonable walking distance from home,' the new guidance states
Returning more generally to individual daily exercise, the challenge is that for one person it might be a 5 minute turn around the block , whilst for others, perhaps more used to bigger bouts of exercise a 10 mile run might be what they deem to be their daily exercise. Whether a 10 mile run or 50 mile cycle is what the government meant by daily exercise is another thing. I know that every time I step out of the door at the moment I feel guilty, even though I'm only going for my turn around the block or at most a 2 mile circular walk.

And so to more mundane matters. I said a couple of days ago that I'd kicked my procrastination in respect of decorating into touch and bitten the bullet. Well, I'm pleased to say that bar a couple of minor snagging issues the living room is complete, and very please with it I am too. It's been far too long since this room was re-decorated. I was looking at some old photos the other day and I can see this was last done probably done....well actually, I'm not going there, it's too embarrassing.

Before (top) and after....next!
Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: