Tuesday, April 07, 2020

7th April: Lazy days and sticky chicken

News last night that PM Boris Johnson had been not only been admitted to hospital but was on intensive care. I'm not his biggest fan, but I wish him and everyone else in similar situations well. This is a terrible virus.

My wife says things are still generally quiet where she works, although there are multiple COVID-19 patients in the hospital, including on intensive care, and they're just waiting for the inevitable explosion of cases. She says staff in her own area are feeling very emotional about family and friends and what's to come. Meanwhile, I stat home in the sunshine. It doesn't feel right, but it is right.
We did go out for a short walk when she got home.

Today was the first day that I really felt like I wanted to get out and go somewhere. Maybe it's because I had a relatively lazy day, maybe because it was yet another nice sunny day and with the promise of more to come before the end of the week, but I definitely had itchy feet. You can bet your bottom dollar, that as soon as we get given the all clear to go out a little more it'll start to bucket down with rain! But I'll take that.

I spent most of the morning writing up the notes of last evening;'s cricket meeting which we held over Skype and despite my apprehension beforehand, it all went relatively well. Eleven of us (with ages ranging from teenage to old, and with several luddites amongst our number) held an almost 90 minute meeting over the web - and it all worked. Impressive. As far as cricket goes, we're in the same boat as everyone else - all cricket activity is suspended until further notice. The general feeling is that it's likely that we won't get to play any cricket at all this summer, but we'll wait and see. If anyone local is interested in joining our club, and playing (if we ever do), give me a shout. Our website is at Dinas Powys CC and you can follow us on twitter @DinasPowysCC.

Continuing the culinary theme I set yesterday with my soda bread experiment, since retiring I've pledged to cook at least once a week. Tonight I rustled up sticky chicken (a Mary Berry recipe). There's a few variations out on the web so I won't link as I got this particular version from one of her books. Good result and the family all gave it a thumbs up (lush, as we say in these parts). I even gave it the old rice dome treatment.
Mary Berry's Sticky Chicken- lush
Later this evening it's another video call as my wife and I check in with her brother and sisters for a virtual drink/chat.

No cat news. She's slept about 98% of the day.

See you tomorrow

#stayhomesavelives

No comments: