Monday, April 13, 2020

April 13th: Stranger Things for strange times

Foreign Secretary Dominc Raab has just announced that the Government does not expect to make any changes to the coronavirus lockdown this week. Well we knew the Welsh Assembly had already announced that there would be no loosening of the restrictions in Wales at the end of last week, so it's no surprise. Whatever it takes #stayathome.

After several weeks of warm sunny weather, it was a shock to wake up to wind and some serious coolness in the air. In truth, I didn't wake up to it, the wind kept me awake half the night. Well actually a combination of the wind, and the bloody cat miaowing outside everyone's bedroom in turn it seemed. I'm not the heaviest sleeper at the best of times (I think I've become attuned to keeping one ear open in case the feline brings us any presents in the middle of the night), and that combined with early dawn light and the wind rattling anything not tied down, meant some broken sleep.

Nipped out in the car last night. Although my wife had visited her mum earlier in the day as part of her normal caring duties, and left her in apparently reasonable fettle, her sister rang us late afternoon saying she's tried to ring her but was only getting an engaged tone. At 8pm she was still getting an engaged tone and was getting worried. My wife wasn't overly worried as the the community carers would have been in to get her ready for bed and rung us if there was a problem and they hadn't, but better safe than sorry. We drove over and I stayed in the car whilst my wife popped in. Turned out she was fine but had taken a call earlier and not put the handset back on the stand properly! I haven't been further than the local Dr surgery in 3 weeks so it was nice to get out even if it was only a 15 minute drive and it was quite bizarre to see the roads as quiet as they were around the normally busy Leckwith and Canton areas.

One of the things about #isolationlife is that it gives you a very valid excuse to watch a lot of TV - although some people don't need an excuse. I'm not a particularly avid watcher of TV drama series. I've never watched a single episode of Breaking Bad for instance. I did enjoy Game of Thrones although I was very late to it (I think season 3 was all under way before I watching the very first episode), and I stuck with The Walking Dead for a few seasons before it started to become stale. In the last few days with encouragement from my wife and daughter I've started watching Stranger Things, (itself now up to season 3), and I have to say I'm enjoying it immensely. I think there are two reasons why. Firstly, its set in the early 80's, a period I can recall well, being in my early 20's at the time, and secondly it's very Stephen King-ish. I was an avid devourer of his books - in fact I've still got a shed load in the loft, and Stranger Things is very much written in the same style.


Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: