Monday, April 06, 2020

6th April: Silly politicians and the Queen

Back on 26th March, I briefly mused about how things might change once we're through of all this. As luck would have it, Sky News, no doubt amongst others were also thinking the same thing and posted an article yesterday Coronavirus: Five things that will never be the same because of COVID-19. I'll leave you to read the article but essentially it talks about:
  1. How we act as a society
  2. How work might change
  3. How use of technology during this crisis will change how we do things in future
  4. Our possible future approach to leisure activities
  5. How we might consume differently as a result of the pandemic, and the impact on the retail sector
As I (and many others far more important and knowledgeable than me) have repeatedly said, we are in unprecedented times. I don't believe anyone in their right minds would want to be in any senior Government leadership position right now, having to make critical decisions almost by the hour, and with what appears to be often conflicting scientific advice whilst trying to do the right thing and keep everyone happy (an impossible job). Anyone who argues they know better and has no relevant science to back it up (looking at you Twitterati and Facebookers), should frankly shut up. Nevertheless there's no accounting for folk, and sometimes politicians, who are after all, just folk, do silly things. They're only human after all and who amongst us can honestly say we've never done something we regret?  But really, Scotland's Chief Medical Officer Catherine Calderwood has surely won the numpty of the week award for one moment being on TV urging everyone to stay at home, and then shortly afterwards hotfooting it off to her second home. And she didn't do it once, but twice! It beggars belief that she didn't consider this a foot in mouth moment, but there we are. And whilst she's taken what some would argue is the 'honourable" course of resigning as a result, surely we need people with this knowledge and experience supporting our leaders at this moment in time? If everyone resigned as soon as they made a mistake, no one would ever be in a job. We have to learn to accept errors and learn from them, not demand a fall guy (or gal) every time. Yes it was poor judgement. Don't do it again, even fine her £30 which seems to be the going rate for coronavirus rules misdemeanours if it makes you feel better, but losing someone of that experience from your team just feels counter productive.

And talking of experience, so to the Her Majesty The Queen. I'm not really a royalist (although I'm not averse to a little pomp and ceremony now and again). I think I was once, but that's almost certainly because my parents were. Christmas Day by the TV for the Queen's speech was a constant in our family (and still is for my 94 year old mother-in-law). There's no doubt she splits opinion (the Queen that is, not my mother-in-law). Judging by my Twitter timeline, a not insignificant number of the people I follow are broadly anti-monarchy. I think part of the problem is that people look at her vast wealth and perceived "privilege" and have no idea or understanding about what the Queen does and the Royal Family actually do and have sacrificed through the course of their lives in order to serve their country - and argue that the wealth and privilege means they haven't sacrificed anything. Personally, there's no way on earth I'd want to live my life like that. Nevertheless she still is held in enormous respect by many. So her broadcast to the nation last night whilst poo-pooed by some, will have done some good for many others.  I saw a few comments from people last night saying that having watching Netflix's The Crown they have a far greater understanding of the how the Monarchy works, the pressures they have and what they do and have given up - whether or not they are a royalist or republican. That's not to say we don't all have pressures and have made sacrifices by the way, they're just different.

We've also received our official letter from the Prime Minister, which basically says "stay indoors". There's nothing in here that anyone keeping up with the news doesn't know (or shouldn't know) already, but I suppose it's worth a shot in case anyone's been living on Mars for the last month or so. Whether it'll do any good is another question. Those that will comply are probably already doing so, and those that aren't will chuck this in the bin and keep doing what they want to in their own selfish way. Because we're a Welsh household, we also got a copy of both the letter and leaflet in Welsh. Let's not start a debate about the right's and wrong's of that.

The Prime Minister's letter
In #isolation life it's been a day of chores after waving my good lady off to her nursing shift at 7am this morning. I hope she and all her NHS colleagues are staying safe (update, at least for my wife is, yes thankfully, she is - she's not on the front, front line as it were - yet). Two lots of washing done, cleaned the upstairs windows (I can't believe how filthy they were!), checked and watered my plant seedlings, prepped for tonight's virtual cricket committee meeting (I'll tell you how that went tomorrow), and plenty of other bits and bobs including my first ever stab at making bread (soda bread) which went mostly well.

My first ever soda bread effort - not bad, tastes good

Oh, and by the way, my thumb appears to be on the mend, and I might get away with not losing my thumbnail - result!

That's probably enough for today unless there's any breaking cat news.

#stayathomesavelives

2 comments:

Quickly said...

That soda bread looks fantastic, Simon!

Statto said...

Marginally under baked (but better than burnt to a crisp). Family were happy with it so well chuffed! Easy too...