Saturday, April 25, 2020

April 25th: Photography

Years ago I had Zenit Single Lens Reflex (SLR) camera (a Zenit because it was relatively cheap not because it was good) and enjoyed taking many "snaps" on 35mm film.

With the advent and evolution of the mobile phone, pretty much everyone has a camera on them all the time these days, and the latest cameras on the latest phones can provide staggeringly good results on a par with dedicated cameras under the right conditions. In addition to my iPhone XR, I also have three other cameras, all models a few years old now.
  • A Panasonic TZ60 pocket travel zoom, usually reserved for holidays abroad or where I don't want to be carting around too much weight
  • A Canon 100D DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) one of the smallest DSLR's available, and what would be deemed an "entry level" DSLR
  • A Panasonic FZ330 Bridge Zoom. Only recently purchased but an older model, I bought this for it's long zoom when I need something more than the TZ60.
I swap and change between these depending on where I'm going, what I'm photographing or sometimes just based on whichever one I pick up first.  I take a LOT of photo's. Currently I have getting on for 22,000 photos on my hard drive (and yes, they're backed up in at least three separate locations) including off site in the cloud. The best ones, or those that have the most personal impact, including holiday ones I upload to Flickr, and you can see some of the albums I've made available publicly from this link.

I guess like many people, 99% of my photos are bog standard or worse, but every now and then I take one that really stands out. I find it's a hobby that you are continually learning on. Every time I press the shutter I learn something new. I try these days not to just use the "point and shoot" settings, but adapt whatever settings best suit the circumstances (or at least try to).

With lockdown, a lot of my usual haunts such as Barry Island, Cardiff Bay and other local areas are out of bounds, and being stuck at home you might think there's a limit to what I can photograph. But I've started messing about with taking macro (close up) photographs of flowers in my garden, and some of the shots have come out pretty well.  I've attached a few here.





I've also started to focus more on the post-processing - loading photos into software that allows me to tweak and play with the image, mostly to try and enhance the photo, but sometimes just for a bit of fun. The top tow photos here are the same flower - it's pink not blue.

I find photography immensely satisfying, but equally challenging when you miss that shot. On occasions though you just have to take what you can with whatever camera you have - they say the best camera is the one you have with you. Today we walked up on the golf course again, and disturbed a pair of green woodpeckers (to see one is an event in itself, to see a pair is amazing). They flew out of some trees and into some other trees further ahead. We couldn't see them with the naked eye, so I took the camera I had with me today - the Panasonic TZ60 pocket travel zoom, pointed it at the tree and zoomed all the way in, past the optical zoom and into the digital zoom where the picture starts to degrade rapidly. I thought I'd just taken foliage, but if you look carefully towards the top of the photo, you'll see a partially hidden woodpecker - his red head is the giveaway. On one hand it's a terrible photo. Fuzzy, the bird not really visible and certainly not centred. But the fact I managed to capture even this, made my day.

Spot the green woodpecker

And finally, just so she doesn't feel left out, here's a close up of the cat.


Until tomorrow....
#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

1 comment:

Quickly said...

Love the photos of the flowers, Simon. Really striking images.