Friday, April 10, 2020

April 10th: Dreaming of Mythos


Don't let the nice weather deceive you. The latest death statistics for the UK are horrible- a further 900+ deaths across the UK taking the total of (hospital) deaths from coronavirus to almost 9,000.

Apparently the Government have said we're allowed to go into our gardens. Erm....thank goodness for that. I have been in my garden every day since the lockdown began despite the fear I might get thrown into jail for doing so.  Seriously though, we've been in a relative state of lockdown for 3 weeks, so this advice is probably a bit late, although probably meant to reinforce that this is ok and to be done instead of heading to the beach or the hills or in fact anywhere that's not a short walk from your house.  I have to say, I'm still conflicted between the advice to stay at home, which I am doing bar the odd very short walk for exercise - I haven't gone more than 15 minutes from my from door in three weeks - vs this that argue you can be out and about providing you're distancing. Seems to me a lot of people are taking a lot more exercise (walking, jogging,) than they ever did before (and probably won't do when this is all over) and bending the guidance to suit them. The guidance is you can go out for essential shopping, medications, and one episode of daily exercise - a 30 mile bike ride, or 10 mile run or walk run isn't I think what the Government had in mind. Please stay at home.

My garden is one of my happy places. I spend a lot of time just pottering about (it's an age thing). I always marvel at how the place comes back to life after winter, although I'm staggered that some of my hanging baskets from last year made it through the winter and have started flowering again now. This lobelia for example, was put in this hanging basket a year ago. It's would normally die off in late summer, but it's hung on through autumn and winter and is going again...remarkable.


It's been a roasting day today. Seem churlish to complain after such an abysmal wet winter and early 2020, but if it's going to be this hot, frankly I'd rather be on a sunbed in Greece with a cold Mythos in my hand. We're booked to go to one of our favourite places in June - a small village in the north west of Corfu and a small family run hotel - this would have been our fifth visit, but although I hold out the slenderest hope, this June is looking a goner....😕
I'd quite like to be here....
And as for the cat. Well it's too hot for her...this was her flaked at 11am!


Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

1 comment:

Quickly said...

Please don’t write off your June holiday in Corfu just yet - we’re due in Skiathos at the end of June and I need keep hoping it’s going to be ok by then!