Monday, April 20, 2020

April 20th: Part 2 - Needles in vain (see what I did there?)

The second of a double posting today.  I wanted to get my earlier post about Starlink satellites out so that anyone interested had enough time to read and then prepare for tonight's pass should they want to - and it was a very specific post rather than my usual general "some stuff about some stuff" sort of post.

Back in the real world it's Monday (I think). How easy is it to lose track of the days?  Mrs H has gone off to work at the hospital, my daughter's working from the kitchen and my son - well now he's been furloughed he's just chilling.....

Following Friday's abandoned blood letting for my latest blood test because of my arthritis medication I woke this morning and downed almost 4 pints of water to ensure my veins were suitably full for this morning's attempt. Sadly, despite the best efforts of (more than one) clinician, they couldn't find a decent enough vein again this morning, and so I have to go back again on Wednesday. They were wholly apologetic, although I pointed out that it wasn't their fault if there wasn't a decent vein to stab.

On the bigger stage, it's evident that we've moved from a "we're all in this together" mode to tensions, and finger pointing as people start to see the curve flattening and other countries starting to loosen their restrictions on whatever flavour of lockdown they had installed. The critical point though is that we're far from out of this yet, just because the numbers of infections is plateauing. Deaths will undoubtedly continue to rise for a while, the pressure on care and services will remain for the foreseeable future. We might (or might not) see a second, or even third wave. God forbid we might see coronavirus as a permanent fixture, like seasonal flu, or perhaps worse, an altered strain that's even more deadly. I saw a headline today (one source is the New Scientist) saying that the UK’s coronavirus science advice won’t be published until pandemic ends. Well knock me down. I'm not surprised as we're still in the middle of this thing. It appears we (and most of the rest of the world) is still grappling with the pandemic - why publish the science now. It would be like publishing a novel that stops half way through.

I'm all for holding the Government (and anyone else such as scientists, journalists etc.) to account but it's also easy to adopt a holier than thou attitude (how many of you have done non-essential shopping in the last month, or made a trip you didn't need to?). It's easy to blame someone that they did something wrong, listened to flawed advice, took the wrong action or say person X or political party Y would have done better. We just don't know yet. The time will come when we can do that in a planned and focused way. Not now.

Don't forget - if you have clear skies, the Starling satellites will be over about 10pm tonight. Look up!

Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: