Friday, May 01, 2020

A day to remember

I've decided to stop putting the date in the title of my posts - this blog platform (like all others) provides the date of posts anyway. I originally started doing it in the vain hope that by now I could be saying we're getting back to normal but.....

Today is my Mum's birthday. She was born in 1927 the year that Cardiff won the FA Cup beating Arsenal 1-0 and who remain the only club to take the FA Cup out of England). Had she still been alive she would have been 93 today but sadly we lost her to ileo-caecal cancer at the end of 2002. That's almost a third of my life ago, but I still miss her enormously - those times when you just want to pick up the phone and have a chat about nothing in particular or sometimes something very specific, or point something out in the garden (she loved gardens). There's no doubt that time is a healer, but only in some respects. The rawness goes at least, but thankfully the memories remain.

My love of photography and photographs means that I'm often sat in my "study" meandering through some of my 22,000+ photos. I inherited a load of old photos when my Dad passed away at the end of 2016 co-incidentally a couple of days before the date on Mum's death. Whilst he was far from a well man, he was independent, but was taken ill suddenly one day and hung on for a week before passing. We swore he was waiting for the date Mum died.

I had the job of scanning many of the old photos and sharing them with my brothers and sisters (and a couple of my cousins). It's remarkable to look back at these old photos - some I'd never seen before, including some of my Mum when she was a child and both my parents in the 1940's and 1950's. I also came across some of both my sets of grandparents that I can't ever recall seeing before, insulting many of my maternal grandfather during his time in the navy - he served on submarines and survived two torpedoing's I'm told. The Navy played a major part in my parents and grandparents life. As well as my grandfather serving, both my parents were in the Navy - which was where they met. Dad was a Petty Officer and was in Malaya during the Malay Emergency whilst Mum was in the Wrens (Women's Royal Navy Service or WRNS).

So today's photo are a a celebration of the memory of Sylvia "Kit" Hiscocks. One of a kind.

Aged about 16 months (1928)

Aged 5 (1932)

1951

With her best friend Dusty in the WRNS

A Summer Fete

Enjoying France in the 90's

Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: