Sunday, May 17, 2020

A busy day in the garden

Lockdown, such as it is, has some advantages. With nowhere much to go, and time on my hands (which admittedly I had anyway) I've taken the time to learn some new photography post-processing skills. Not formally, but by watching some videos, and just getting in there and having a go.

Post processing is the art of taking a photograph straight out of the camera (or OOC) lauding it into a software programme and tweaking it in any number of ways to improve the final shot.

For many years I thought this was cheating - surely a good photographer should be good enough to get the shot right first time, but it's not that straightforward. They say a camera net lies, but that's not strictly true, and sometimes what comes out isn't quite what you expected. Or it is, but you want to enhance it.

The recognised top of the shop program for doing this is Adobe's Photoshop, but it's eye waveringly expensive - especially for an amateur like me - there are many packages to choose from, but the absolute cheapest starts from around £9 a month and goes north fairly quickly from there.

I use its little brother, Adobe Photoshop Elements, and also have Skylum's Luminar 4, although there are still alternative cheaper programs, and free options available.

If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll have seen some of my tweaking previously. I rarely shoot in black and white, but have posted photos that were originally taken in colour and then tweaked into black and white. The moon photo I posted a couple of weeks back was enhanced to give more contrast.

I've also leant how to add watermarks to my photos - something neither of my current programs due by default, and useful if I have a particulary nice shot I don't want anyone to nick and claim credit for.

Today, I decided to have a little bit of fun with a new (for me) technique and try and post an image similar to one shown on the BBC website today, and the results as a first attempt are satisfying.

I'm calling it "A busy day in the garden!"

A busy day in the garden
Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: