Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Lockdown blues

I've got to admit it. Spending two and a half months barley venturing from my door (bar the odd walk up to the local golf course), is not how I envisioned my first year of retirement.

The initial novelty of lockdown has long since passed. As I've mused on this blog before, I'm not even sure that we have lockdown in any real sense of the word now. Coffee shops, DIY shops, golf courses, garden centres are all open - I even sent my son to B&Q today to get a new toilet seat, as I broke an old one whilst decorating (I consider this an essential purchase). Despite texting me to say it was "so busy" along with a photo of a queue, he was gone barely half an hour, so it can't have been that bad. Roads are busier by the day. My wife said that one of her work colleagues suggested that the promenade at Penarth recently is just as busy (if not busier) than "normal" - whatever that means now, with people walking, sitting, drinking coffee and so on.

So whilst I'm trying to remain "on message" by staying at home, seems like the world and his dog have decided that lockdown's done.

I'm fed up. I want to get out and about, if only to hop in the car drive to Penarth and go for a walk somewhere different and buy a coffee from a shop  just to change the day to day picture because I'm getting stir crazy here.

Richard Pryor, left, and Gene Wilder in “Stir Crazy.”
Whilst I understand the Welsh Government's cautious approach, that's only going to be effective if everyone stays compliant with the lockdown message, and it feels to me that is no longer the case.

Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: