Monday, May 18, 2020

Vaping -a visible reminder about how germs and a virus can spread

The idea for this post came to me today when I was taking my short exercise walk around the local playing field. I passed (at a fair distance) a man and a woman standing by their car, chatting and both were vaping.

Full disclosure here, I'm not having a go at people who vape or smokers. I'm an ex-smoker, although in truth I haven't smoked for about 30 years now, and like many ex-smokers, since giving up I've been completely anti-smoking in any shape or form. I believe that that vaping is "better" than smoking tobacco, although I haven't grafted through any research to establish that as fact. I also know that many people transition to vaping as a way to give up cigarettes (although in truth, the people I know personally that have done this seem to vape far more than they ever smoked). In any case, whether it's better or worse, I do know that inhaling anything into you lungs other than pure air can't be good for you in the long term.

The thing that has always struck me about vaping though, and particularly relevant in these times of virus spread, is just how far a vape cloud goes when exhaled. and it's no fun being stuck in a mist of someone else's exhaled strawberry or caramel sweet, sticky vapour. It was this that prompted this post. Actually being able to see the clouds of vapour being breathed out from these two individuals, with the vapour swirling around them and then being quickly carried off on the breeze, I was starkly reminded of how easy it would be for a an invisible virus to spread very, very quickly. And if we were comparing a virus to a vape cloud, then I'd argue a two metre distance certainly ain't enough.

Vape cloud (Flickr)
Until tomorrow....

#isolationlife
#stayhomesavelives

No comments: