Thursday, March 19, 2020

19th March

So day 2 of my blogging about Coronavirus/Covid-19 (can I just abbreviate it to CV19 or is that a Coventry postcode 😂?)

We've just had the latest Government New Briefing with Boris and the Chief Scientific Officers. Whatever your views on Boris, you wouldn't wish this situation on anyone to have to lead a country through and all politics aside, I think he's doing a fairly decent job in what must be a monumentally pressured job. Whatever he says or does, or those around hime recommend in terms of policy and actions, he's not ever going to please everyone - this is completely unprecedented. I also must give a shout out to the two CSO's Patrick Vallance and Chris Whitty who in my view are both hugely impressive in both conveying their messages, their knowledge and their demeanour.

I haven't been out and about today - not social distancing particularly, for one it's been a rainy old  grey day and not conducive to going out - I did think about walking a dog but chickened out, so have stayed inside cleaning lights and curtains and sorting a dodgy radiator - all those things that when I was working I never really had the time (or rather the inclination) to do.

My wife has been to see her mum and make sure all is well with her. My son continues to work at home, although he did pop into Cardiff to the office to collect few bits. My daughter is at work, although is feeling incredibly anxious about everything - more worried I think about having CV19 without knowing because she's working with others and using public transport, and passing it on to others in the family. I've tried to reassure her, and hopefully that's helped a bit. I'm sure her company will continue to do the right thing, support their staff and make the right decisions for the good of their employees.

Some of the skittle team are having a last hurrah at the club this evening, but I've decided not to go. A load of men playing with their balls doesn't seem very sensible, although I'm sure they'll take appropriate precautions. Who knows, maybe CV19 is undone by beer? That could be a win.....

We've also almost certainly knocked on the head a trip to the Peak District the week after next with my wife's sisters and brothers and their other halves. The pub we were going to stay at for a couple of days is still open, but it just doesn't seem to be the right thing to be doing, although our daytime activities of walking in the hills and valleys would probably have been an ideal social distancing activity. The meals and beers in the pub afterwards perhaps not so much.

The cat's mostly been asleep.

In other non CV19 news, everyone associated with Cardiff City has been devastated today to hear of the passing of former Bluebird midfielder Peter Whittingham, who has died following a fall a couple of weeks ago. He was only 35 and with a young family. Truly tragic. He was one of the most, if not the most gifted footballer I ever saw in the flesh and gave me and all Cardiff fans many moments to remember over his time with the club. My condolences go to his family at this terrible time.
Peter Whittingham  8 September 1984 - 19 March 2020
(Image: Huw Evans Picture Agency)

No comments: