Monday, July 31, 2023

Photography - a gear rabbit hole


Credit: whatsthebest.co.uk

Anyone who's looked in on this blog over the years will know I like photography. An avid amateur rather than a skilled enthusiast, but I like to think over the years my photography has improved. You can check out a lot of my efforts on my Flickr pages to judge for yourself.

Ultimately of course whilst it's the camera that takes the shot, it's the photographer that sets the camera settings, determines the composition, and where needed and/or necessary does any "post-processing" to tweak the image to their satisfaction.

Like many photographers, I've got through some (probably too much) gear over the years but like many, I also have a tendency to always be looking for the ideal camera setup. The reality is though, that pretty much any camera from the last few years is going to be more than good enough to take great pictures for 99% of people. 

I've recently come very, very close to selling two of my three main cameras and swapping out for another brand - for some sound reasons, but in the end (for the moment at least), I've stuck with what I have because what it serves me well enough.

It's perhaps worth noting here, that (some) photographers can be a snobby lot, both in terms of brand favouritism and/or camera (or rather sensor) size. Basically, the bigger the sensor, the more light comes into the camera and (theoretically at least the better level of detail is achievable).  But there are downsides to bigger sensors. Generally speaking the bigger the sensor, the bigger and heavier the camera and importantly where interchangeable lens cameras are concerned, so are the lenses. This is fine if you're a professional, or studio based "togger" (the slang term for a photographer), but an average amateur/hobbyist like me doesn't want to be carting round a bunch of heavy kit just o take some snaps or holiday photos, especially when travelling abroad.

As an example, last year we went to the island of Skomer off the Pembrokeshire coast to see puffins. There were people there with more cameras and kit than you could shake a stick at, some with lenses as long as my arm, whilst I had a little bridge camera with a tiny sensor. Whilst the big kit guys undoubtedly got some lovely shots, so did I - perfectly good enough for my needs, and given that the puffins were virtually running over my feet, I certainly didn't need a massive zoom lens! 

So my gear has basically been collated to give me flexibility around some specific scenarios that fit my photography needs, as follows.

Fujifilm -S10
The Fujifilm X-S10

My biggest sensor camera is a Fujifilm X-S10. This camera has an APS-C size sensor - see the link above - that gives wonderful images. I've got 3 lenses for it. The standard 18-55mm zoom kit lens (although it's of far better quality than the term "kit lens" suggests. A 50-230mm shortish telephoto zoom, and my most recent purchase a 16-80mm zoom that just gives me a bit more at the wide and zoom ends than the kit lens. 
I use this when I know the images I'll be taking fall comfortably within the zoom ranges, and when I need the highest quality images.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ2000
Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ2000

This Panasonic is a "bridge" camera. Basically this means it's a fixed lens camera - you can't change lenses, but the in-built lens has a zoom range of 24-480mm (at full frame equivalent) on a one inch sensor. The plus is that the reach at the 480mm end of this zoom means it's great for wildlife or distant subjects, but the compromise is the smaller 1" sensor that can struggle in poor light.  However in good light it takes lovely photos, and has the benefit of having that very flexible lens when I don't want to be carting the Fuji and a couple of other lenses around. It's a bit of a chunk though, and not ideally suited to travel (in my opinion).

Sony RX100vi
Sony RX100vi

Last, but by no means least is my pocket rocket. The Sony RX100 Mk 6 is a tiny camera measuring less that 10cm x 6cm but packs a 1" sensor, and it takes outstanding photos for it's size (as do all the Sony RX100 range (currently up to Mk7). It also zooms to 200mm full frame equivalent so has great subject flexibility. I honestly never fail to be astounded by how good the output from this camera is.
It's my go to travel camera and perfect for travel abroad when weight and practicality are needed. 

And finally of course not forgetting my iPhone. Phone cameras on the latest phones are unbelievably good for the most part. They don't stand up to detailed scripting or large prints, but be honest, how many of us print any photos these days? I have an iPhone 13 Pro currently, and the images this phone takes are superb. Sure they're a little over saturated for some, but it's hard to take a bad picture with an iPhone these days, and there's plenty of flexibility for changing settings and on phone editing that arguably makes it my most used camera, because it's ALWAYS with me.

So given the above, why was I thinking about changing? Well, the primary reason is that none of the above kit is weather sealed/resistant. Consequently I'm very cautious about having a camera with me when the weather is inclement. One camera brand in particular, formerly Olympus, now OM-Systems, boasts probably the best weather resistance of all cameras, but in the end I reckon that as I would rarely shoot in the rain even if I had a weather resistant camera, there was no point in swapping, and it was really me just thinking the grass is greener....

My Sony can go in a pocket, and if I'm out with either of the other two units and it starts raining, I'll just have to stick it  in my rucksack or inside a coat. Failing that it's hope for the best.

So that's my kit, and what I use it for. However good they are though, that doesn't stop me looking for my next camera!!!

Tip:
iPhone aside, if you have a camera - any camera, get a spare battery and a spare memory card. Batteries run out at the most inopportune times, and a memory card can fail leaving you unable to save a photo. 

Twitter: @Statto1927 
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/simon_hiscocks/ 
Instagram: simon_hiscocks

No comments: