Friday, October 13, 2023

De-cluttering is hard work, but good for the soul


It's amazing, or perhaps not, the amount of "stuff" you collect over the course of a lifetime. We've got a large loft full of "stuff", a garage I've never ever been able to get my car in, a 5 bedroom house that has "stuff" everywhere (PS the photo above is not our clutter!)

Some of this "stuff" is precious (in personal terms rather than monetary value). Books, cuddly toys and other bits and pieces from the kid's early years for instance. Some is just hanging around because it might be needed or required for something down the line, and a lot is just there because we can't be arsed to get rid of it.

I'm one of the world's worst procrastinators when it comes to de-cluttering. I think it's such a good idea, but I struggle to put it in to practice. Mrs H is even worse. She can always find a reason not to throw or give something away, in a sort of "Ah, that's cute/useful, we can't throw that away" manner on something we haven't even seen let alone used in many a long year.

This week I've been in the garage trying to sort through stuff that fits into the above categories. I subscribe to a local "Re-use" page on Facebook - I'd much rather give stuff away to someone who wants/needs it, that try and flog it on eBay or take it to the local tip, and I listed a few things. Mrs H immediately convinced me to take two things off that  list!

A couple of others were snapped up straight away and have now been collected, some things are still available. 

I must admit it does feel good for the soul getting rid of stuff we no longer need, and especially when it's given free gratis to someone who really wants it. I've got a long, long way to go though before I get anywhere near the Marie Kondo level of decluttering.


Twitter: @Statto1927 
Mastodon: @simonhiscocks@toot.wales 
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/simon_hiscocks/ 
Instagram/Threads: simon_hiscocks

No comments: