Thursday, September 09, 2021

A little bit of GAS



GAS otherwise known as Gear Acquisition Syndrome. The hunt for ever more camera gear in an attempt to find the perfect solution. I think I've got it - GAS that is, not the perfect solution.

I've always taken lots of photos, usually with whichever camera I had at hand. Until fairly recently (the last 18 months or so, I've never really had a camera that could be described as anything more than basic, or entry level.

However in the recent past - perhaps post retirement as I've tended to get out more and take more photos. If you want to see my efforts, check out my Flickr page.

This year I've upgraded kit in the search for an ever better gear solution. But the problem is that "better" or "perfect" is always subjective, and each time I've done, it something else catches my eye.

As things stand I currently have the following kit.

  • A Fuji X-S10 mirrorless (a new camera released only at the end of last year) with a couple of lenses. It's a camera aimed at the enthusiast (more than beginner, but generally not professional photographer). It's not cheap and it is good.
  • A Panasonic FZ330 bridge camera (all in one fixed lens). A pretty decent camera costing a few hundred pounds but one that has a small sensor so image quality can suffer easily.
  • A Panasonic TZ60 pocket travelzoom. A good few years old now, handy for slipping in a pocket or when travelling - especially abroad where I wouldn't want the bulk of the other two cameras. It's getting long in the tooth now
  • My trusty iPhone (XR) which is with me ALL the time, but despite the advances in phone cameras over the years, obviously hasn't got any decent zoom capability
I've just offloaded a Canon DSL and 4 lenses. Not because it wasn't good. The real reason was that having only a couple of months ago bought a huge (weight and size) and expensive telephoto lens I've come to the conclusion I'm not really going to use it that much, and like the Fuji, going out with a bagful of lenses and having to swap lenses for different shots all the time is frankly a pain - that's where the FZ330 wins - it's got one lens running from wide(ish) angle to long telephoto - but as noted the quality can suffer due to its small sensor if light is poor or clumsy operation/choice of settings occurs.

TZ60 and iPhone aside, here's my camera roadmap for the last 18 months. It's painful to read :-)

  1. Sold a Canon 100D DSLR with 18-55mm kit lens, 50mm prime lens, 18-270mm zoom lens, 70-300mm zoom lens
  2. Bought Panasonic FZ330
  3. Bought Canon 77D DSLR, 18-55mm lens
  4. Bought Canon 50mm lens
  5. Bought Fuji X-S10 DSLR with 18-50 kit lens
  6. Bought Fuji 50-230mm zoom
  7. Sold Canon 77D and Canon lenses
  8. Bought Canon 77D with 18-135mm lens
  9. Bought Canon 28mm lens
  10. Bought Canon 100-400mm telephoto
  11. Sold Canon 77D and Canon lenses
In my defence, the Canon purchases (camera and lenses) were all bought used. When I sold the 77D originally I immediately regretted it - I prefer the ergonomics and menu system to the Fuji, but frankly the Fuji's a better camera (I think anyway). So I bought another one on a whim, when really I should have stopped and thought. It wasn't until I bought the 100-400 lens that I realised carting a load of lenses around for the sort of photography I do is 1) impractical, and 2) bloody heavy!

So now I'm at a crossroads. I love the Fuji, I like the FZ330, but what I REALLY want is an all in one that has better image quality than the FZ330 but the reach of a long telephoto in a one stop shop.

I know what the answer is. A Sony RX10 IV, widely accepted to be the best all in one 1 inch sensor long zoom out there. But it ain't cheap. But I suppose I have just sold all my Canon gear.

Oh, and I want another lens for my Fuji.

Oh, and I want to upgrade my Panasonic TZ60.

Oh, and the new iPhone 13 will be released soon - my XR is 3 years old now....

GAS.

Maybe I should take up knitting.

No comments: