Friday, December 28, 2007

Benazir Bhutto

I'm not by nature a political person, although I keep a weather eye on things naturally. I'm just so glad that I live in a country where (by and large) politics are settled in a democratic way, and not by the gun and bomb.
The assasination of Benazir Bhutto in Pakistan yesterday is a stark reminder that we are in reality a long way from the notion of (what at least I think of as) a civilised world. Sad though it is, I think it was only a matter of time before someone tried again to assasinate her, and probably the odds were that eventually someone would succeed.
I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a society like that, and for that I thank my lucky stars.
I just wish the people of the world, especially in places where there is so much turmoil could recognise that and settle politics, disputes or whatever else needs settling in a more considered way.

No comments: