Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Treo Pro

I was in PC World tonight and in the PDA/Smartphone section they had a Treo Pro. This was the first time I've seen one in the flesh, and I have to say I was actually quite disappointed on a number of fronts.
  • It's actually quite wide. Much wider than I'd expected - in fact when I first cast eyes on it I thought it was a Blackberry.
  • The build quality didn't seem too great. Especially the buttons that are integrated into the flush screen part of the device. They felt very plasticky and insubstantial and "cracked" a lot when I pressed them - although that might be due to many fingers mucking about with a display model.
  • The keyboard, whilst noticeably wider than the Centro's didn't actually seem to be that much easier to type on.
It wasn't actually switched on either, so I couldn't really play with it.

And finally, it was tethered to a blank notice, so you didn't actually have any specs to hand. There was a Treo Pro board, but guess what was anchored to that - a Centro! D'oh. That's why I'd never buy a smartphone from PC World.

As an aside, they also had an HTC Diamond there, and that was just as disappointing as the Treo Pro.

I'll stick with my Centro for the time being thank you very much. Much nicer all round device.

No comments: