Wednesday, December 29, 2021

New Year Resolutions



Out with the old, in with the new. New goals that is. It's that time of year when we all (well many of us) make promises to ourselves that we are profoundly unlikely to keep. Some of these promises last barely a day, others may take time to fall by the wayside, but most inevitably do so before the circle starts again this time next year.

So here are mine, in no particular order.

  • I will once again attempt to lose weight after the Christmas festivities
In reality, my annual cycle of weight gain (+/- 10lbs to a stone in old money) usually starts around late October following an annual family holiday that invariably includes lots of cake and alcohol. There's then a descent towards Christmas which is essentially more of the same but with added chocolate thrown in for good measure. Also it's about managing portions/portion size. My wife's a great cook and I don't like leaving food, so if there's any left over......
Hopefully if the weather improves, I'll be back to my couple of rounds of golf a week which will help - in the summer I was walking around 30-35 miles a week with two or three rounds of golf helping enormously.

  • I will try to be less grumpy

This is a tricky one. I make this "resolution" every year, and try my absolute hardest to keep it, but never seem to be able to do so. To be fair my wife is a saint to put up with me! I blame my genes. My Dad was a grumpy old git too. Sometimes I play on it a bit, but I think my default demeanour is on the grumpy side of neutral. I'd love to be patient and laid back, but I'm just not. Sometimes I wonder if I'm borderline depressive (not that suffering from  depression necessarily makes you grumpy), but I certainly suffer from mood swings. Mind you, all the crap going on at the moment doesn't help.

  • Break 90 in a round of golf 

I took up golf seriously when I retired at the end of 2019, having otherwise only played (hacked around) once or twice a year. My initial target was to break 100 shots per round. I managed to achieve that quite quickly, and now regularly manage mid to high 90 rounds. My next target though is to crack the 90 barrier. I've managed 91 a couple of times, so I know it's doable.

Let's leave it at that. Too many resolutions increases the chances of failure!

What are yours?

Twitter: @Statto1927 
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/people/simon_hiscocks/ 
Instagram: simon_hiscocks






No comments: