Thursday, September 03, 2020

The older (oldest) generation

Tomorrow marks a sad and poignant day, but one to remember good things too. It's my mother-in-law's funeral, a lady I've known for almost the last 30 years. As a devout Catholic, stalwart member of her local church and matriarch to a large family, she would have wanted a proper send-off, something that's been denied her due to the Covid restrictions on funerals. There will be no church service, and a limited family and closest friends gathering at the crematorium. We will hopefully get a memorial mass at some point when churches re-open fully, so all is not lost, and despite the restrictions in place tomorrow we'll all do our best to remember her life and the wonderful lady that she was.

It also draws a line under her generation within both my wife's and my families. My wife lost her Dad in 2017, whilst my Mum died in 2002 and my Dad at the end of 2016. That means we, along with our brothers and sisters are now the elder (senior?) generation in both our families. Yikes!

No comments: