Tuesday, September 14, 2010

iPhone iOS 4.1 - battery problems

I have seen and heard a few reports of iOS4.1 hitting battery life on the iPhone 4 hard. PDA247, one of the regular sites I visit has this thread on the subject.

Personally, I haven't noticed any hit, although it's hard to argue with the experiences that some are having. This must be down to certain apps they have running in the background, or some hardware issue with certain batches of devices.

The new Game Center has been suggested as a culprit, although I think it's unlikely to be that per se, but the increased time some may be spending on playing games because it's there may (and it's just a "may")be having an adverse affect on battery life.

Push notifications and push email, plus location aware apps constantly running are also likely culprits.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes. Meantime, I'm now (10pm in the evening) at 42% after being fully charged at 7am this morning, having periodic use through the day and almost constant use in the last 3-4 hours. I reckon that's OK by any standard, so I don't think it's an issue for me.

No comments: