Thursday, November 06, 2008

PC itis

If you've been following my posts recently (and if you haven't why not?), you'll know I've been having a few problems with my main PC, fondly known as "Stattings".

Well the last week's been a rollercoaster. There have been several times when I've been ready to chuck it in the skip, as it's dies, frozen, and just refused point blank to do anything. Other times it's been like a dog running through treacle, and sometimes, well, sometimes it's worked properly.

I've been inside it's innards checking RAM seating, dust removing, and generally poking around. I've virus checked it, spyware checked it (few tracking cookies mostly), caressed it, updated programs and still the damn thing has been playing up.

It's been stable now for, ooh I don't know, about 24 hours, but I'm not holding my breath.

I do know my multimedia card reader has stopped working, though why that should affect anything else I don't know.

I guess I'll just plod along, but it's like walking on eggshells at the moment.

As a slight aside, and it may be related though I'm not convinced, Firefox has been playing up lately. I'm still running v2 so maybe I should go to v3, but it's been sooo slow. I hate Internet Explorer with a passion. Google Chrome is decent enough and I liked it when I tried it before,
but FF is what I'm most comfortable with.

UPDATE
When I "Check for updates" in FF, it tells me there are no updates available. How mad is that. v3 is out there......

Oh well. I think I'll go and watch the footie now (UEFA Cup)

No comments: