Sunday, August 17, 2008

Back in the old routine...

A semblance of normality and routine has returned to Chez Statto this weekend.

Our summer holiday to Greece is over, and and a fading memory (how can anywhere really be that hot & sunny?).

The family wedding has come and gone.

Our week without the kids was nice - we had forgotten how wonderful it is just to say, "let's go out and have a drink/something to eat/to the pictures" without the kids - though we wouldn't be without them for the world and it was great to go and pick them up from my sister's yesterday. They've had a brilliant time camping/caravanning, and though the weather has largely been atrocious for them, they've still managed horse-riding, surfing, canoeing, swimming in the sea, jumping off cliffs into deep water, slobbing about, playing with their cousins/other assorted friends and so on.

So today, there are no specific events on the horizon for a three week period or so. In some ways that's nice - I like a certain degree of predictability in my life. I'd like to think I'm spontaneous, but I'm probably not.

But there are still things to look forward to later this year.

My daughter starts high school in September, I'm going on a short cricket tour with the club (probably in a non-playing capacity). I am actually down to play a game on Bank Holiday Monday (a charity match) which could well be my swansong - interesting to see if the knee holds up - (don't tell my physio/consultant!).

We're also off to the Gower for a w/e in October with some other family, and before you know it, it'll be half term and we've got a week off with the kids then.

At new year, we're going up to Yorkshire with about 30 friends/family.

So there's a lot still to come this year. In the meantime, I need s few days of dry weather (ha ha) to get out in the garden and do some work out there. It's a disaster area at the moment.

No comments: