Monday, May 12, 2008

How difficult does it have to be?

You know what I'm talking about - those pesky "validation text" images you see when you sign up for something online or want to add comments to a blog.

Now I don't mind the theory, they do after all serve a purpose in foiling those dratted netbots that do all sorts of things automatically without human intervention, but there is a limit to my patience with the darn things.

Tonight I was signing my daughter up for Windows Live Messenger so that she can chat to all her school chums who use this service. Everything went fine until we tried to enter the validation letters on the site. I admit my eyesight isn't what it used to be, but it's not that bad. My daughter's eyesight at 11 years old is perfect.

Between us, with both trying to read the same text letters against the "background pattern" we must have failed with our entry about a dozen times before we got it right. If my daughter hadn't been so keen to get this thing up and running I'd have ditched it after about 3 attempts. Ludicrously difficult to see what the letters were against the image background being shown.

No comments: