Saturday, May 03, 2008

DVD's on the Palm

One of the things I've always wanted to do since I've had my Palms is play movies on them. Watching a widescreen movie on a 320x320 pixel screen isn't the most satisfying experience, but if you're stuck somewhere (on a train, at the airport, waiting to pick your daughter up from dancing/guides) catching a few minutes or even all of a movie on a phone is bearable and breaks the tedium.

I've tried a few routes, all have been fraught with some problem or two, even though it's supposed to be easy to do. Find your DVD ripping software of choice, load the DVD, rip it, load it on your Palm and hey ho.

I've always majored on TCMP as the player on the Palm because a) it's free and b) it's as good if not better than any of the paid for options. I believe the free version is no longer being developed, but it's still widely available on the net - just Google.

Getting the DVD ripped has been my problem. I've tried a few solutions.
  • Pocket DVD Wizard just wouldn't work for me. The video would rip but I couldn't get any sound other than a choppy static, no matter how much I tried and fiddled with codecs
  • Palm Media Studio just kept crashing
  • Fair Use Wizard I couldn't get the hang of
In the end I got results with DVD Catalyst 3. It's a commercial program, but at just under 13 groats in English money It's not bad value - and importantly it works for me.

No comments: