Friday, March 25, 2011

Divided loyalties

It's one of those divided loyalty occasions tomorrow. England play Wales at the Millenium Stadium in a Euro 2012 qualifier, with Wales playing only for pride, and England needing the three points to keep their qualification aspirations on course.

And here's the issue. I of course am English, married to a Welsh lass. My kids are Welsh, and I'v lived in Wales longer than I've lived anywhere else (32 of my 51 years). I love Wales and the Welsh. Ordinarily I'd be desperate for Wales to win, and genuinely support Wales in all manner of things. But just for one day, I' going to have to revert to my roots.

Sorry folks, but that's just the way it is. At least for tomorrow.

And just for the record, why can't fans just get on? Why the need for hate?

No comments: