Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bloody pot holes!

I've complained about road surfaces before, although that was a specific rant at the Vale of Glamorgan about a certain stretch of road.

This is a more general observation about the state of roads following the recent freezing weather, which seems to have led to an unprecedented number of pot holes in our road system.

It's not just the uncomfortable ride that these result in - I had a puncture last week. First I've had for as long as I can remember, and the puncture was in the side wall - almost certainly I suspect caused by a pothole. There have been three other people with punctures at our work in the last week, and I suspect there are other vehicular woes associated with driving over the tarmac equivalent of the Himalayas.

I heard or saw a report recently about the cost of repairing potholes - it was something like £47 per pothole, so clearly not a cheap job given the millions that must be out there. The suggestion was also that the quality of the stuff they use to fill the bloody things isn't great, meaning they quickly degrade again.

Anyway, the long and short of it is I wish it were different. It's expensive enough motoring now as it is, without having to shell out for repairs caused by crap roads.

No comments: