Thursday, June 10, 2010

City - tax debt freee?

It doesn't numb the pain of the play off final loss, but at least it's comforting to hear that City's £1.9m tax debt appears to have been cleared.

The recent take over by a Malaysian consortium seems to be steadying the good ship that is Cardiff City. However, it's early days of course, and we wait to see whether the investment is just about getting City on a financially operationally sound footing, or whether it's that plus a genuine commitment to push for Premiership football next season.

Many said this last season was City's do or die season, but I think it's this coming one. Having got so close last time, I think it' won't take much more for City to be genuine automatic promotion challengers. But if the investment doesn't come, I see only one way for City, and it's not up.

Looking ahead, I think the Championship won't be as strong next season. I'm not complacent, but I think the sides coming down - Burnley, Hull and Portsmouth aren't as strong as two of the sides that have gone up - Newcastle and West Brom. I really can't see Blackpool doing anything other than finishing rock bottom, and that's not just sour grapes.

Of course, it's all a long way off, and we'll just have to wait and see.

No comments: