Sunday, February 07, 2010

Euro 2012: Split loyalties

My loyalties are going to be truly tested following the draw for the Euro 2012 qualifying campaign as Wales are drawn in the same group as England.

I'm English by birth, and have always supported England's football team as a matter of course. However, I've spent 30 of my 50 years living in Wales, and am married to a Welsh girl. My kids are both Welsh, and I always support Wales when they're playing football, rugby (including when they play England) or any other sport come to that. The two Wales v England ties in this group will sorely test me I feel.

For the record, the other teams in the group are Switzerland, Bulgaria and Montenegro. Certainly none of these teams are pushovers. I think England will win the group though (in fact I'd expect them to), and do you know what? I'm going to have a punt and tip Wales for runner up spot.

No comments: