Thursday, January 07, 2010

How much?

News stories are saying that demand for gas will reach a new high today, with usage reaching 455.3 million cubic metres due tot the cold "snap".

All I know is, that's a lot. But I have absolutely no idea what that means in reality. How much is four hundred and fifty-five point three million cubic metres? Can anyone describe to me in anything like approaching normal language, how much that is? Is is a Wembley sized amount? Ten Wembleys? 50 Millennium Stadiums worth?

And that's one day's worth?

It would be that more practical description that might make me (and others) realise just what an impact man is having on our planet. I just can't comprehend it in the language that journos like to adopt, presumably (apart from the actual facts of the matter) in an attempt to make it sound big.

Yes it's big, but how big? That's what I want to know.

No comments: