Tuesday, June 30, 2009

iPhone Apps

I thought I'd give you a quick rundown of every app on my iPhone (those that are currently installed as opposed to those I've ever downloaded, and rate them. Fairly subjective and relatively lengthy post of course, but here goes. It's in screen order rather than importance or effectiveness order:

  • Messages (default app): 9/10. Great now OS3.0 provides forward capability. Just wish it had a character count in it. Used a lot.
  • Calendar (default app): 6/10. Used a lot. No real alternative. Fails for me on having no week view, no ability to create private appointments or not being able to categorise appointments or letting any other 3rd part app integration. Disappointing after using a Palm.
  • Twittelator Pro: 8/10. Great Twitter client. Used a fair bit. Better than Twitterific and Twitterfon which I used before.
  • Notebook by Appigo: 9/10 See previous post. Good notes client.
  • Clock (default app): 9/10. Does what it says on the tin. Alarm and countdown occasionally useful.
  • Evernote: 5/10. See previous post. Potentially good, some issues
  • eWallet by Ilium: 8/10. Good electronic wallet. I used versions on Palm and WM devices.
  • Newsstand: 8/10. Good RSS reader (best I've found on iPhone)
  • Photos (deafult app): 7/10 Does what it's supposed to.
  • Camera (default app): 7/10 Does what it's supposed to. Bit fiddly I find
  • Settings - not going there. Use it to fiddle settings. Works
  • Contacts (default app): 8/10 Works for me. Some improvements with OS3.0
  • Deluxe Weather: 7/10. Very nice interface, forecast and current weather a bit out sometimes
  • Calculator (default app): 8/10 Works
  • Documents to Go: 7/10. Be better when Excel editing support arrives
  • Maps (default app) 8/10. Handy
  • Mail (default app): 8/10. Be better if you could access multiple accounts from one screen
  • Ipod (default app): 9/10 What more is there to say?
  • Safari (default app): 9/10 After Blazer on the Palm, anything's better! Actually it's quite good.
  • Phone (default app): 8/10 works for me. Not sure it's the app's fault but I occasionally miss calls
  • ToDo by Appigo: 5/10. One of those things you think you need, but I rarely use in practice.
  • App Store (default app). Works for me. Neat
  • BlogPress: 7/10. Decent enough blogging app. Some minor niggles
  • Facebook: 9/10. Not a huge Facebook fan, but this works well.
  • eReader: 8/10 Only just got this. Struggled with ebooks before, but thought I'd give it another go
  • Voice memo (default app): 6/10 New in OS3.0. Another one of those apps you think will be useful but never use.
  • eBay: 9/10. very handy for tracking sales I've done. Neat.
  • Converter: 9/10. Converts everything I've needed to!
  • YouNote Lite: 7/10. Handy note tool. Allows photos, freehand text, text.
  • iTunes (default app): Never used it so can't rate it
  • YouTube: 8/10. Great but not used a lot
  • Trunk (notes): 5/10. A wikipedia style note app where you create links. Never got the hang of it.
  • Countdown: 8/10 How many days to Christmas/holiday etc. Does what it says on the tin.
  • Mobile Linked Me: 7/10. Instant messneger app. Don't use it a lot, but when I do it works OK
  • Google Earth: 7/10 Better on the desktop
  • Twitterific: 6/10 Prefer Twitterlator
  • WeatherPro: 8/10 Forecasts ok but not fussed on interface
  • Moby: 8/10 Used for my Tweet picture posts
  • Tipulator: 5/10. A bit twee but invaluable when there's 17 of you tring to split a bill and give a tip!
  • Tap Expense: 6/10 Can't find a decent expense app. This is as close as I've got
  • Shazam: 10/10 Just for the "wow" factor, being able to identify just about any piece of music gives it maximum
  • Around me: 6/10 Find out what services, pubs, garages etc are close - providing they've got an internet presence or have subscribed to the directory!
  • Lastminute.com Greek phrases: 7/10 For my hols! Volume is very quiet, but handy.
  • Photogene: 10/10 Great for touching up you photos
  • Kai pond:9/10 Pointless, but graphically great
  • Google: 6/10 Installed because I though I should. Never use it
  • Sol Free: 6/10 Fairly basic solitaire. Very small graphics
  • Bejeweled 2: 8/10 If you like that sort of thing. My daughter does.
  • Cro Mag Rally: 6/10. Greatgraphics. Occasionally crashes iPhone
  • Notes (deafult app): 4/10 Basic. Never used it really
  • Arcade Bowl: 9/10 Very addictive game
  • WordPop: 10/10 Possibly the best mobile game ever?
  • Stocks (deafult app). Never used it so can't rate it
  • Weather: (default app). 2/10 Basic
So there you have it. That's what's on my phone.

No comments: