Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Has the iPhone 3Gs Got Talent?

Well, the iPhone 3Gs has certainly divided opinion - or rather it's pricing has.

Reading my various mobile information sources, PDA247, Palm-Mac and The iPhone Blog and the most highly veritable @ruskin147 on Twitter (Rory Cellan-Jones) see his blog also, amongst others, people are falling largely into two camps.

Firstly there are the "Wow, what a brilliant device, here are 999 reasons to upgrade from your current iPhone which seems to have become an incompetent device overnight" brigade, and "never mind the price, it's got a 3 megapixel camera and video recording"!!!

Then there are those (like me) who think that the OS 3.0 update is clearly worth having, but the actual costs of owning the new 3Gs hardware is extortionate. Especially if you whack in an internet tethering bolt on which I would have been interested in it it was included in my already pricey plan, and even more especially given that when all said and done, the hardware doesn't break new ground. Well it does for an iPhone, but not compared to many of the current smartphones that are out there from RIM, Nokia, Android and dare I say it Palm?

The Apple fanboys counter that by saying hey, the majority of iPhone owners don't want all that hardware keyboard stuff, proper PIM integation, front mounted cameras for video calling (does anyone really do that on a smartphone?), what they want is music and media. Well, if that's the case, why don't they buy an iPod Touch?

Speed is the key. Apparently 3gs will open the NYT web page 2.9 times faster than the current 3G unit. Who's counting? It'll also open those applications that much faster. I can't say I've noticed any lag.

Anyway, my point is, as I've mentioned in a previous post, I'm not overly impressed with the new hardware. It leaves me feeling lacklustre. Maybe I was expecting too much. I'm not even really sure what I was expecting.

Anyway, and for the foreseeable future, Simon is it a yes or a no? Will the 3Gs go through to the next round?

No.

No comments: