Friday, January 11, 2008

Star Wars - the inspiration for Firefox?

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I remember watching the original several times when it came out, and have watched all of them too many times to remember. At one point, me and my mate John Fidler also knew the entire script off by heart, including most of the sound effects!

One of the key scenes in the original film, bizarrely called Episode IV, is of course the final attack on the Death Star and the flight(s) through the trench.

Tonight I was watching a rerun of the Clint Eastwood film Firefox (1982) which I'd seen before where he steals a Russian MIG codenamed Firefox (nothing to do with the Internet browser), and a scene in that where he's dog fighting another Firefox is straight out of the Star Wars trench scene.

Hadn't made the connection before, but if Clint Eastwood who also directed Firefox says he wasn't influenced by that SW scene I'll eat my hat.

Oh, and may the Force be with you.

No comments: