Thursday, January 24, 2008

Palm. What are they doing?

Now I'm not one of the technorati. I'm a gadget user rather than someone who's particularly technically minded or knows the industry. What I do know though is the most enjoyable experience I've had with a smartphone came from my use of the Palm Treo 680, despite a few shortcomings that I've talked about previously.

Currently though I'm using a Windows Mobile smartphone, and whilst it does the job, it just doesn't have the "glow" about it that Palm devices provide. I'm not the only one judging by the number of Palm related sites, blogs and so on.

So you'd think Palm would be doing all they can to keep up with the Jones's (or Microsoft, or Apple). But no, what they seem to do is churn out (blandish) devices that are primarily available only in the US and increasingly with Windows OS installed. There are also rumours of Linux based devices, but nothing concrete from the halls of Palm Inc. The official Palm Blog is duller than dishwater, and devoid of any useful information other than Palm types telling us what fun they've had out and about.

Give the customers what they want Palm: Smart up to date devices, running a new Palm OS- or at least fess up and tell us you're not going to, so we can all quite waiting.

No comments: