Friday, May 14, 2010

Play-off semi final - reflection

Well it's been a couple of days now and I still can't quite believe that Cardiff City are just 90 minutes and one win away from securing Premiership status if....and it's still a big if, they beat Blackpool on 22nd May.

It was a monster night on Wednesday. A huge roller-coaster of emotions. Going 1-0 up on the night (2-0 on aggregate) after Chopra's opener, that followed 20 minutes of scintillating football from City, many though that was that, game over. However, many of us know how fragile City's defence can be, and how they can squander leads, and so it proved. Poor defending led to Leicester scoring not once, not twice but three times, and after the third, I felt City had blown it. From the amazing high 20 minutes in I was at the lowest ebb.

Them when we got a penalty, I could barely watch as Whitts, slammed it home to level the tie again. From there, we had the momentum, and possible should have gone on to win in 90 or even 120 minutes, but both sides were like boxers on the ropes at the end, having given everything. The atmosphere throughout was amazing - the best I've ever heard.

So to penalties. This was the first time I've been at a live penalty shootout. It all looks very exciting on the TV when it's not your team involved. When it is, it looks so easy for the oppo to score, and you invariably feel your players are going to muck it up. But massive credit they didn't and took superb penalties. all.

When Kermorgant had a rush of blood and tried the cheeky chip and Marshall saved, the last person I wanted to see walking up for the next kick was Kennedy who is no doubt a great lad, but I feel can't pass his way out of a paper bag, let alone take a pressure pen. But I bow to the maestro that is Mark Kennedy. It was a wonderful pen, and he'd obviously been practising. Advantage City, and when Marshall made a fabulous save to Waghorn's attempt, it was job done. The whole crowd (Leicester fans apart) erupted. Such a massive buzz/high/delirious delight. The signing and chanting could have gone all night.

Fair play to a majority of Foxes fans who stayed on and applauded us and the Bluebirds team. Respect.

I've bought our tickets for 22nd May, and I still can't quite believe we're going to Wembley for the third time in 2 years. This one though puts both visits into the shade. This really is a must win. It would be tragic to come so close and lose out on the Premiership prize, but I guess there are a load of Blackpool fans felling the same way.

I think we can do it. I hope we can. Please........

Up the City one more time!!!!

Photo above courtesy of a City fan
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joncandy/

No comments: